Uniform is an important part of a school’s identity. It reinforces who we are as a community and helps allow students to feel pride in their school. It also ensures students are not put under any pressure because of the type of clothes they wear and all are treated equally. It also helps prepare students for life after school where many will have to dress smartly for work.
In September 2017, we made some alterations to the uniform students were expected to wear. Details are included inthe following letters and uniform Guide
Since September 2017 Year 9 students have been wearing slightly altered ties, blazers and jumpers (slipovers) as shown on college uniform picture.
Our uniform supplier for branded items is Jual Branded Clothing & Promotions Ltd (www.jual.co.uk), who also supply skirts, trousers and our PE kit branded items. Please click Here for a price list. All items which are currently in stock can be ordered online directly from the Jual website.
Orders can be made by calling Jual on 01278 661199 or by emailing Sales@jual.co.uk.
Please note that all students will be expected to wear either a grey, knee length, box pleated skirt or grey trousers. Please also note that canvas shoes, plimsolls or trainers will no longer be allowed- Shoes must be polishable.
We expect all students to be in correct uniform at all times. We also want to support you in buying affordable, good quality clothing for school which your children accept they have to wear because the rules are very clear. We want to make it easier for parents and help reduce any issues there may be over what is and isn’t acceptable uniform. If you want to buy uniform from another store or online, that is acceptable, but it must match the uniform on the guidance below exactly, making the process of getting the right uniform even easier.
- Skirt – grey, knee length, box pleated skirt.
- Trousers – must be grey and tailored, straight cut and plain grey. Logos and denim are not acceptable. Trousers must not be tight or skinny.
- Blazer – Black (Year 11 only) or Black with piping for Year 9 and 10 (and Y11 if they wish).
- Shirt or Blouse – White formal collared shirt or blouse – short or long sleeved. No visible T shirt to be worn underneath.
- Tie – Clip on college tie.
- Slipover – Grey V-neck slipover as provided through our uniform supplier Jual. No other sweatshirts, pullovers are acceptable.
- Shoes – Smart, plain black shoes in black leather or alternative man made materials but not canvas. Vans, Converse or any other trainer of this nature are not acceptable. Shoes must be polishable. Socks must be black or white. Tights must be black only.
- Coat/Jacket – Plain and appropriate for weather conditions and dark evenings. Warm and water resistant.
Suppliers of non-branded acceptable uniform (shoes, shirts, trousers and skirts):
- Marks & Spencer – Sell appropriate shoes, shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls.
- Next – Sell appropriate shoes, shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Debenhams – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Tesco – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Asda – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- John Lewis – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Matalan – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Taunton Uniforms – Sell appropriate shirts, trousers and skirts for boys and girls
- Clarks – Sell appropriate shoes for boys and girls
- Shoe Zone – Sell appropriate shoes for boys and girls
- Jones – Sell appropriate shoes for boys and girls
All nail varnish that is not clear and make up that is not wholly discreet will need to be removed, students will be provided with nail varnish remover and make up wipes to do this.
- No more than two small studs, gold or silver, in each ear.
- A wrist watch.
- Other items of jewellery such as necklaces, rings, studs (including face and tongue piercings or ear stretchers), bracelets, wrist bands, or similar jewellery must not be worn. The only exceptions are medical bracelets and necklaces.
Sports/Physical Education Kit
Our sports kit supplier is Jual Branded Clothing & Promotions Ltd. Items can be purchased directly from Jual on their website www.jual.co.uk.
You are required to provide the following items of clothing/equipment.
Boys’ compulsory PE Kit*: WSC black shorts, WSC rugby shirt, WSC polo shirt, WSC socks
Girls’ compulsory PE Kit*: WSC black shorts or skort, WSC black fleece, WSC polo shirt, WSC socks
(*All items must be the correct West Somerset College PE kit displaying the college logo.)
Other non-compulsory items for Boys and Girls: Tracksuit top, jogging bottoms, trainers, studded footwear (for winter outside sports), shin pads, gum shield, towel, sports bag. Base layers can be worn but must be white, black or purple. In cold weather a plain black hat and gloves can be worn for warm ups.
IMPORTANT: Please label your uniform, PE kit and personal items with your full name in permanent ink so that we can identify any lost property and return it to you promptly.
The following policy must be adhered to in all physical education lessons and extra-curricular activities.
PE Kit Protocols
Students must always be wearing the college’s physical education kit for PE lessons and extra-curricular activities.
Where kit has been forgotten students will be expected to wear the spare kit provided and will be sanctioned appropriately.
No physical education kit is to be worn in classroom lessons unless special authorisation has been given by a member of physical education staff. Furthermore, no jewellery of an kind can be worn in physical education lessons.