Professional Cookery - City & Guilds Level 1 & 2
City & Guilds
Level 1 & 2 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery
Course Leader: Ms Maia English
Academic year: Yr. 12 & 13
Course Duration: 2 Years
What’s it all about?
You'll gain a high standard of cookery skills from processes, such as roasting and frying to commodities, whilst also learning other workplace essentials like menu design.
The Diploma in Professional Cookery is for anyone who works or wants to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector. It is ideal for learners coming straight from school who wish to seek a career in this industry. It is also ideal for those chefs in industry who would like to continue or refresh their knowledge by undertaking topics within the qualification.
You will also complete a work experience two days week in the hospitality and catering sector this will support the skills taught in sessions and gain a better idea of how the hospitality and catering industry functions day to day.
What are the entry requirements?
For a Level 1 Vocational Study Programme students will need GCSE English and Mathematics at grade 3 or above plus a range of GCSEs at 4/3 grades. You are able to re-sit GCSE English Language, and Maths if required and upon completion of your Study Programme and can look to progress onto a Level 3 Study Programme.
What will I learn on this course?
- Food safety in catering
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
What careers can the course prepare me for?
The Diploma in Professional Cookery can help you find work in a variety of roles including:
- Catering/Restaurant manager
- Commis Chef
- Pastry Chef (with additional training eg. Level 2 Professional Patisserie and Confectionary (7120))
- Fast food service assistant
- Food processing operative.
When you have completed these qualifications, you might want to move on to:
- Level 2 Professional Cookery (7132)
- Level 2 Professional Cookery (7100)
- Level 2 Professional Patisserie and Confectionary (7120)
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by a range of practical tasks and written assignments.
For More information visit the exam board website.
Who can I contact for further information?